One of BC Hydro's hybrid fleet vehicles
Chosen as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2013:
By Richard Yerema and Julien Gagnier, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors
(Apr 21, 2013)
Some of the reasons why BC Hydro
was selected as one of Canada's Greenest Employers (2013)
- has over 300 Green Team members volunteer at over 40 locations across the province -- teams are also supported by management 'sponsors' who provide advice and on-site managerial support to team leaders
- and Green Team leaders are also able to turn their green focus into an additional opportunity for ongoing professional development in leadership, team building and marketing development
- established the "Mind our Footprint" strategic objective as part of the utility's commitment to creating a sustainable energy future for the province -- the public utility became carbon neutral in 2010 and continues to actively look for ways to reduce its carbon footprint before offsetting the remainder
- as part of its strategic objective, the utility established the "Lead by Example" initiative that offers conservation leadership and awareness training, coordinates corporate-wide campaigns, raises conservation awareness, and recognizes environmental leadership and innovation.
- employees have helped the utility reduce energy significantly without any additional spending -- the savings have been achieved through ensuring lights, monitors and electrical devices were turned off when not in use, lowering thermostats in generating stations, using stairs rather than elevators, revolving doors instead of swing doors, closing garage doors, removing unnecessary appliances, ensuring new appliances are energy efficient, and ensure that computers are put into deep-sleep when not in use
- employees have also implemented a number of was reduction initiatives across the organization, including the installation of composters, recycling of styrofoam, and even hosted an "ugly plate" competition to encourage the use of non-disposable plates, mugs and cutlery
- in new construction and renovation the utility is focused on increasing energy efficiency, such as the Bridge River dam housing facility that is applying for LEED Gold certification and the Port Alberni district office that features passive design, a geothermal exchange system for heating and cooling, insulated roofs and walls, daylight harvesting, solar hot water panels and a green roof
- has an ongoing program to replace its fleet vehicles with more efficient models as new technology becomes available -- its fleet now includes more than 130 hybrid vehicles which includes two heavy duty aerial line trucks
- also encourages employees to consider alternative transportation with preferred parking for carpoolers, transit subsidies, and secure bicycle parking with showers for two-wheeled commuters -- and for those who must drive, the utility provides idle-free and driver training programs for its employees
- through its "Lead by Example" initiative, the utility supports a unique "Employee Conservation Leadership Awards" program that recognizes environmental achievements across the organization -- individuals and teams are nominated in four category areas
Major Canadian hiring locations: Burnaby BC, Surrey BC.
|This Employer Review has been viewed 134,648 times.|
|©2013 Mediacorp Canada Inc. All rights reserved. Used by Eluta with permission. For comments or questions on this employer review, please contact Mediacorp's editorial team.