Staff lounge at PricewaterhouseCoopers
Chosen as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2013:
By Richard Yerema and Julien Gagnier, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors
(Apr 21, 2013)
Some of the reasons why PWC / PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
was selected as one of Canada's Greenest Employers (2013)
- recently assisted in the development and delivery of a Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountant (CICA) course on greenhouse gas emissions risk, reporting and assurance, with PwC employees participating as expert instructors and facilitators for the course
- has fourteen employee-led environmental committees at twenty-two of its office locations across Canada with each committee organizing a variety of events throughout the year -- initiatives include its Vancouver committee hosting a "Green Night" with local organic food and beverages from British Columbia, its Ottawa committee performing an environmental audit with participation from the firm's summer students, and its Southwestern Ontario and Atlantic Provinces regional committees implemented a recycling initiative for old electronic equipment
- the firm also sponsors a national "Green Week" to promote environmental awareness both at the workplace and at home with events held at office locations across the country, from an organic breakfast served at its Winnipeg location, to a gardening info session held at its Mississauga office with participants receiving a free plant -- in total, 230 partners and staff members took part in numerous green activities nationwide
- follows sustainable meeting guidelines outlining environmental actions to consider when planning events, conferences, and training sessions with areas of consideration such as venue selection, food, waste, energy use and giveaways -- in addition, the firm recently updated its paper procurement and usage policy, and further reduced its consumption of paper by 11 percent last year
- conducts an annual "Commuter Survey" to collect information on its employees' commuting habits and encourages employees to work from home through telecommuting programs, online training initiatives, and even a new VoIP phone system that lets employees pair their office phone with any phone of their choosing
- between 2008 and 2009, the firm undertook a major energy efficiency initiative to green its information technology and computer systems, including "virtualizing" more than 250 servers in its data centres
- recently relocated its downtown Toronto offices to a new, state-of-the-art building, the PwC Tower, which is located steps from the subway and the regional GO transit system and is currently targeting Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification
Major Canadian hiring locations: Toronto ON, Montréal QC, Vancouver BC, Calgary AB.
|This Employer Review has been viewed 124,171 times.|
|©2013 Mediacorp Canada Inc. All rights reserved. Used by Eluta with permission. For comments or questions on this employer review, please contact Mediacorp's editorial team.