SAS LEED certified office building
Chosen as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2013:
By Richard Yerema and Julien Gagnier, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors
(Apr 21, 2013)
Some of the reasons why SAS Institute (Canada) Inc.
was selected as one of Canada's Greenest Employers (2013)
- supports an employee-led "Sustainability Committee" to raise awareness, gather feedback, inform employees and initiate green programs that involve employees from across the company -- the committee consists of ten employees representing each of the major business units and regions across the country
- employees enjoy state-of-the-art water filters for their drinking water, thus avoiding the need for plastic bottles, and the company discouraged the use of disposable paper plates and cutlery by replacing them with reusable dishes, glasses, cups and cutlery in its kitchen areas
- over 85 percent of the all waste generated at the head office building is processed for recycling -- with ongoing initiatives to encourage even higher levels
- constructed the first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certified commercial office building in Canada, which utilized 55 percent recyclable materials in its construction and incorporates many energy-saving features that save up to 50 percent more energy than a traditional structure -- the company even offers monthly tours to interested students, urban planners, designers and commercial real estate professionals
- the building also features a state-of-the-art rainwater collection system that collects and stores water in specialized containers in the building's basement, which in turn is utilized for the flushing of toilets -- the system has collected over one million litres of rainwater annually used for landscaping and non-potable plumbing uses
- since the building opened over five years ago the building's energy saving features has helped the company cut its annual CO2 footprint by over 4,000 tonnes each year -- totaling over 20,000 tonnes or the approximate equivalent of removing over 3,000 cars from the road or planting over 100,000 trees
- in addition to offering indoor bicycle parking (and shower facilities), the company is located along one of the city's busiest street car lines, provides an employee shuttle during morning and evening rush hours, and offers a corporate passenger van for employees to use when attending meetings
- every year the company donates used (but usable) laptops and personal computers to schools and charitable organizations
- the company recently applied its expertise in developing a unique "Sustainability Management" software application that helps its commercial clients track and measure their "triple bottom line" indicators -- people, profit and the planet
Major Canadian hiring locations: Toronto ON, Ottawa ON, Montréal QC, Calgary AB.
|This Employer Review has been viewed 65,300 times.|
|©2013 Mediacorp Canada Inc. All rights reserved. Used by Eluta with permission. For comments or questions on this employer review, please contact Mediacorp's editorial team.