Chosen as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2013:
By Richard Yerema and Julien Gagnier, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors
(Apr 21, 2013)
Some of the reasons why Symcor Inc.
was selected as one of Canada's Greenest Employers (2013)
- through an Executive Steering Committee and employee-led national and regional "Environmental Committees" the company and its employees strive to promote the best environmental practices at work (and at home) and help to implement the company's environmental program and raise awareness amongst employees through a wide variety of educational and fun events
- along with having their own mascots (EnviroMUTT and Arctica), the Environmental Committee's annual events include (but there are many more), participation in the World Wildlife Fund's annual Sweater Day to promote turning down the thermostat (with prizes for the best sweater), cleaning-up the community in the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup in the fall and the 20 Minute Makeover on Earth Day, and an annual "Eco-Fair" during Earth Week, which has included presentations from the Toronto Zoo, as well as interactive games and eco-friendly prizes for best green suggestions (past prizes include bicycles, ecologically friendly cleaning kits, and gift cards to a local nursery)
- the Committee also has its own website and newsletter (call Eco Notes) to share ideas and capture feedback from across the company, as well as ensuring that each Green Team from across the company have their own dedicated webpage within the site to help encourage collaboration and sharing of ideas and initiatives
- encourages employees to carpool by providing reserved parking spaces for those who carpool as well as creating an intranet portal to assist employees in finding a carpool group that fits
- in 2009, the printer's paper procurement practices became certified by three prominent certification standards, including the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), the Sustainable Forestry Initiatives (SFI), and the PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) initiatives
- as part of its day-to-day operations, the company supports numerous and varied in-house environmental initiatives at locations across Canada, including aggressive recycling (reduced the size and number of waste bins in favour of larger recycling bins), cell phone and battery recycling, a hazardous waste collection initiative (to promote Earth Day), toner recovery and toner bottle recycling, eyeglasses recycling (through the RECYCLE for Sight program); motion sensitive lighting along with a program to encourage employees to turn off their lights when leaving, and motion sensitive water-saving faucets
- recently completed an energy audit at its major locations to evaluate energy use and efficiency, and has many ongoing initiatives to review and reduce energy consumed, from lighting systems to air conditioning to server virtualization efforts to reduce computer hardware requirements
Major Canadian hiring locations: Mississauga ON, Vancouver BC, Calgary AB, Winnipeg MB, Toronto ON, Montréal QC, Halifax NS.
|This Employer Review has been viewed 25,620 times.|
|©2013 Mediacorp Canada Inc. All rights reserved. Used by Eluta with permission. For comments or questions on this employer review, please contact Mediacorp's editorial team.