Vancity employees and members at a community outdoor movie event
Chosen as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2013:
By Richard Yerema and Julien Gagnier, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors
(Apr 21, 2013)
Some of the reasons why Vancouver City Savings Credit Union
was selected as one of Canada's Greenest Employers (2013)
- maintains a corporate target to ensure that no less 70 percent of office 'waste' is recycled, with employees regularly beating that goal by recycling 75 percent of what was once considered waste through aggressive recycling and composting programs -- the credit union's recycling program is simply called, "Everything that was once a tree can now be recycled"
- extending from an extremely well-received month long pilot project, the firm recently implemented a battery recycling program for all credit union members at each branch location
- the head office building features a new rooftop garden (called the Sky Garden) that's managed entirely by a group of volunteer employees
- the company reached its goal of becoming carbon neutral in 2007 (two years ahead of schedule) through reductions in greenhouse gas emissions combined with investments in climate-friendly projects to offset its remaining emissions -- the credit union continues to monitor data to ensure it maintains and builds upon this achievement
- works with BC Hydro as a "Power Smart Partner" inviting a utility representative to regularly join the company's energy management meetings and help explore new ways to help save energy -- with new initiative including LED exterior signage, automatic faucet flush systems, occupancy lighting sensors and new thermostat controllers
- employees are strong supporters of the annual "Bike to Work Week" initiative -- with employees competing against other workplaces for the most bike commutes, hours logged and kilometres traveled
- operates a unique green building grant program for members that is funded by profits from its credit card operations
- in addition to being located atop the SkyTrain, the head office features reduced parking rates for carpool vehicles, shower facilities for those who bike to work, and a small fleet of Smart Cars and easy-to-ride bicycles so employees can travel to meetings and appointments and leave their own cars at home
- the head office features numerous environmentally-friendly features, including reflective e-glass, non CFC refrigerants, water-based paints, commercially harvested second-growth wood (prior to the FSC certified standard) and recyclable carpets -- the building has since received recognition under the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) for its construction and ongoing operations
- in 2009, the credit union added an array of specialized solar panels on the roof that utilize the sun's energy to pre-warm all of the hot water used in the buildings kitchens, bathrooms and showers
Major Canadian hiring locations: Vancouver BC, Victoria BC, Squamish BC.
|This Employer Review has been viewed 62,498 times.|
|©2013 Mediacorp Canada Inc. All rights reserved. Used by Eluta with permission. For comments or questions on this employer review, please contact Mediacorp's editorial team.