Chilliwack is getting a new Y! Opening in early 2019, this modern health, fitness, community and recreation facility will help meet the needs of all Chilliwack families so that everyone can reach their potential. We are looking for people to join our team who will warmly welcome long-time members to the new centre of community and create a welcoming space for men, women, children, teens, seniors and families who are new to the Y to belong.
The Chilliwack YMCA is a part of the YMCA of Greater Vancouver––a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community by helping families thrive, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of connection and belonging. Together, we are building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behaviour: we do the right thing, put people first, keep our promises and lead by example.
For more than 130 years, we have been part of the community––more than 40 in Chilliwack. We have always been a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to grow through programs and services in health, fitness & aquatics, child care, camping, employment, health management, immigrant services and youth engagement.
Nature & Scope:
The Lifeguard/Swim Instructor will report to the Aquatics Supervisor & Supervisor of Children’s Programs and work collaboratively with other members of the YMCA team to provide a safe and fun aquatics environment.
- Guard the pool and teach swimming lessons in a positive and professional manner
- Build meaningful relationships through positive daily interaction with YMCA members, visitors, and colleagues
- Promote philanthropy through the YMCA’s annual Strong Kids Campaign
- Develop lesson plans for various programs and administer progressive evaluations for participants
- Ensure program design, lay-out, and offerings meet the needs of all participants at various levels
- Lead program delivery, while ensuring contents meet the appropriate criteria and outline
- Perform general administrative duties and record keeping responsibilities
- Maintain an atmosphere of achievement that inspires self and others to succeed at the highest levels
- Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all members and staff, including all locker rooms and spectator viewing areas.
- Maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all program areas, common spaces, and washrooms
- Assist with training new staff/volunteers in procedures and practices
- Remain flexible – willing to learn new skills, alter shifts
- Attend staff meetings, planning sessions and training events as required
- Maintain regular attendance, punctuality and be appropriately dressed and well groomed
- Current Standard First Aid certificate (valid within 2 years)
- CPR level C and & AED certificate (valid within 1 year)
- Current National Lifeguard – pool option
- Valid WSI
- Experience as a Lifeguard or Swimming Instructor - preferred
- YMCA Aquatic Fitness Certificate, or equivalent - preferred
- Demonstrated high level of customer service skills
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date
- 3 professional references
Commitment to Organization and Values : Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA of Greater Vancouver.
Service Orientation : Deliberately identifies needs and wants of members/participants as priority, and creates opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA experience.
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Communication : Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings
Outcomes Oriented : Ability to lead, manage, and achieve identified goals.
Application Deadline: Ongoing
YMCA of Greater Vancouver
YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a provider of leadership programs, recreation opportunities and day camps to over 900 youth members.