Nature Based Solutions (NBS) comprise all activities related to the protection of or enhancement of natural ecosystems resulting in natural carbon sequestration, and the marketing, trading and sale of resulting carbon credits and other services and products. NBS are expected to play a material role in the fight against climate change (this
from NGO The Nature Conservancy gives a good overview), and have also been identified as a potentially material lever to achieve Shell’s announced Net Carbon Footprint (NCF) ambition (
management day 2017
The NBS team in New Energies is developing Shell’s business model and growth approach to realize NBS’s potential for Shell, as both a contributor to reducing Shell’s NCF and to serve external customers seeking to offset carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions. This effort is being conducted in concert with other teams in Shell who are involved with NBS. There is a sizeable Environmental Products Trading Business in Shell Trading that already serves Shell and external customers in both compliance and voluntary markets. NBS also works with Downstream businesses, aimed at assessing the potential of carbon neutral energy product sales to Shell customers.
Reporting to the GM Business Development, the NBS team in New Energies is looking to add an experienced Business Development Manager to lead origination and development of opportunities on the supply side of the NBS value chain. This will involve Shell investment in carbon sinks (including, but not limited to, forest conservation, forest management, afforestation, wetland protection and regeneration and certain agriculture related projects).
Reporting to the GM Business Development, the NBS team in New Energies is looking to add an experienced Business Development Manager to lead origination and development of opportunities on the supply side of the NBS value chain in Canada, with potential to support US BD as the strategy and market evolve. This includes direct investment in carbon sinks (including, but not limited to, forest conservation, forest management, afforestation, wetland protection and regeneration and certain agriculture related projects).
The role is an opportunity to join NBS at the shaping stage, not just in Shell but also in the broader societal and corporate space.
You will be expected to:
- Source credible, scalable and competitive NBS investment opportunities in Canada and, in time US, that yield carbon offsets (and possibly associated ecosystem services and commercial products) in a manner that is consistent with the NBS strategy
- Progress selected opportunities (in line with portfolio strategy) along the development funnel in compliance with ORS; ultimately aimed at delivering value-adding, strategy-aligned NBS investments for Shell
- Manage a pipeline of opportunities at different stages of development whilst ensuring delivery of priority deals
- Develop strong relationships with stakeholders on the supply side of NBS: project investors/ developers, green entrepreneurs, Governments, NGOs, multi-lateral agencies
- Work closely with related teams in Shell to deliver opportunities: in-country teams, finance, ER/GR, legal, Shell Trading, New Fuels, and others
- Monitor market developments and provide strategic input to the development and execution of Shell’s NBS Canada strategy, and contribute to the evolving global strategy as lessons are learned in Canada
- Whilst Canada is the main focus of the role, there may a need to lead or support opportunities elsewhere in N America.
Nature Based Solutions is an immature industry and a new area of activity for Shell, with three main value drivers: cost-effective contribution to achieving Shell’s net carbon footprint ambition, development of carbon neutral energy product customer value propositions to sell to existing and new customers, opportunity to develop a material new business area in New Energies.
Your results as Business Development Manager will be primarily measured based on the value to Shell of the business opportunities you are able to mature and execute. Identifying which projects to stop, and prioritizing efforts, will be as important as putting new opportunities into the funnel. The credibility of Shell’s offset supply project investments is of paramount importance. Projects must stand up to factual/scientific and wider societal scrutiny.
You will be working in a rapidly evolving business area, often in challenging regulatory and legal environments, executing deals that are new to Shell and as such will require a lot of internal education and stakeholder management. You will be a part of a global and virtual team of capable and motivated individuals and as such, will benefit from the ability to work and form relationships with a diverse set of individuals. The position calls for a self-motivated, entrepreneurial and responsible individual with the ability to perform well under pressure, and able to adapt to a constantly evolving internal and external environment.
What we need from you:
· Canadian national or significant part of career spent in Canada
· Significant commercial experience including in NBS or relevant markets
· Relevant industry networks and understanding of the market opportunities and challenges
· Commercial experience developing relationships and originating transactions with diverse counterparties
· Track record of delivering deals including development of investment cases, deal structuring, negotiations with counterparties, due diligence and managing dispersed deal teams; ideally track record in equity investments, joint ventures, M&A.
· Experience of building non-traditional investment cases and developing new business models and propositions an advantage; new market entry experience an advantage
· An entrepreneurial, can do mindset, one that is comfortable in pursuing opportunity amidst considerable uncertainty; adaptable and prior track record in having to quickly become effective in a new market/product
· A passion for nature and a solution-oriented interest in the Energy Challenge – more and cleaner energy
· An understanding of the areas relevant to NBS: (agro-) forestry, REDD+, carbon trading, etc. Appreciation of the issues, challenges and opportunities for Shell in NBS
· Experience of project development helpful, in particular where community and political engagement has been important
· Excellent communication, relationship building and presentation skills
Experience of working in, or with, a large organization an advantage
Upstream & IG Commercial
No. of Positions