FarmLead is an online platform dedicated to agriculture trade. We are based in Ottawa and active across Canada and the US. As a venture-backed agtech start-up , we are on an exciting journey to revamp our suite of products and bring exceptional value to our end-users.
We are looking for candidates who are excited by the fast pace of a start-up and enjoy working in a small and collaborative work environment. Our product team includes business analysts, product managers, designers and developers working together to build the next great feature.
You will have the opportunity to take charge and be an owner, make mistakes and learn, and figure things out as you go. We support and encourage our team members, feeding off their inspirations and goals, and enabling them to develop and contribute to the success of FarmLead.
About the role
As the Director of Product Management, you are a key member of our leadership team. With the support of both co-founders , you set and own the product strategy and roadmap. Given your lead role in maintaining the complete product lifecycle, you oversee, develop, and optimize our product team and product development process to ensure the timely and successful release of high-quality products. In our 12-person team, you also regularly jump into the “day-to-day” of building our product to help accelerate work as needed.
In setting the overall product strategy, you leverage information from many different sources, including industry experts, competitors, partners, and customers. You also review product analytics and user feedback collected by your product team to inform your thinking. To further inform the product strategy, you also engage with users and platform partners to test new concepts, assess pricing models, and confirm or disprove your hypotheses. From time to time, you travel within the US and Canada to meet farmers, agriculture buyers, and potential platform partners face-to-face. You are also called upon to speak at investor meetings, agriculture tradeshows and other marketing events about our product strategy and vision.
You ensure that your team understands the overall product strategy, and you help them achieve their full potential at all stages of the product lifecycle, from feature conception, definition, development, release and post-release activities. You ensure that your team embraces product analytics and user feedback to understand current use patterns and confirm or disprove the success of newly launched features. As we work in an Agile environment, you coach, mentor and ensure adherence to a culture that is flexible and adaptive to requirements. You lead by example and foster a work environment that is fun and collaborative, that helps people grow, and that is focused and able to get the job done.
Overall, you spend about 40% of time on defining and communicating our product strategy, 30% on managing and growing the product team, and 30% helping with the “day-to-day”.
- Define, guide and own the product strategy and roadmap, shaping and prioritization initiatives with input from other executives
- Oversee the product lifecycle - from strategic planning to tactical release activities
- Define product requirements using inputs from customers, market trends and analysis, competitors, and other stakeholders
- Regularly talk to customers to obtain direct feedback and insight from our users
- Support the Product Owner in proper prioritization of the product backlog and maintain an overall Agile product development process
- Oversee the monitoring of product performance through various product analytic tools, adjusting and evolving product reporting as needed
- Act as the ultimate product evangelist, working with sales, marketing, development and our partners to cultivate and ensure a common understanding of our product’s vision and monetization strategy
- Coach, mentor and manage the product and design team, overseeing individual performance and personal development goals and plans
- Partner with the Development Team Lead to oversee the development team
- Work with marketing and business development to develop marketing, sales and partnership strategies and tactics
- Present and promote FarmLead’s product strategy to our investors, at marketing events, agriculture conferences, and so forth.
- 7+ years of relevant experience in product management, of which at least half in a fast-paced, startup environment
- Demonstrated track record of success in product management, including planning, defining and launching successful products, with a focus on B2C products in software and mobile
- Strong strategic thinking with an acute ability to translate raw visions and ideas into a coherent product strategy
- Analytically driven and evidence-based decision maker with strong business judgment, and the ability to synthesize and draw key insights from diverse and complex information and data
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to not only define the problem but also to help visualize and articulate solutions
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to adapt communication style and materials to different audiences and stakeholders
- Able to confidently vocalize opinions at all levels of the organization. Not afraid to say “no” but to also explain the “why” behind your decisions. Clear and open about your strategic thinking and how it informs your choices.
- Proven people leadership and team-building capabilities, as both an inspirational and influential manager, and a great coach and mentor
- Strong collaborator across development, marketing, sales and development
- Exceptional prioritization skills that can marry competing factors of key objectives, limited resources and demands from various stakeholders
- Product experience in peer-to-peer network, social media or marketplace / market network
- Experience as a developer or marketer
- Experience or exposure to the agriculture sector
- Competitive salary and company equity
- Comprehensive and flexible health benefits plan
- 1 week of paid personal leave per year
- Downtown Ottawa office, in the core of Centretown
- Easily accessible via transit, and equipped with showers and secure bike racks
- Monthly parking or commuter stipend
- Annual professional self-development stipend
- Casual dress code
- Flexible work schedule
- Visits to farms and farm shows
must be already authorized to work in canada
must be based in or willing to relocate to ottawa
FarmLead Canada is an online marketplace for grain buyers and producers.