As a member of the HIS team, independently performs a variety of technical and some clerical functions relating to the Health Information Management and Corporate Information Support. As assigned, key areas of technical responsibility include: coding, abstracting of data; patient registration and bed tracking, transcription service liaison; release of patient information and PHIA resource, health record management and quality/risk data management.
- 2 years experience coding and abstracting health records using current software and classification systems.
- Experience using Crystal Reports software for data extraction.
- Graduation from an accredited Health Information Technologist/Health Information Management program.
Active membership with the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA) is considered an asset.
Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of Canadian Institute of Health Information (CIHI) data sets.
- Proficiency in medical terminology.
- Proficiency in coding and abstracting.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Suite of products including Excel, and Word at an advanced level.
- Knowledge of relevant Workplace Safety and Health responsibilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper lifting and heavy handling techniques.
- Ability to apply CIHI standards and classification systems.
- Ability to express ideas and thoughts in English both verbally and in written format.
- Ability to select appropriate communication methods pertinent to the situation.
- Ability to listen and comprehend effectively.
- Ability to organize workload and set priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work safely without injury to self, to patients/residents, or to other staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relationships with all levels of staff and coworkers, outside agencies and the general public.
- Physical and mental health to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to balance and stand on a stepladder.
- Physical strength to handle office materials and tool.
- Must have 20/20 vision (corrected or uncorrected) and the ability to distinguish colours.
- Must be able to pass a standardized hearing test if required.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition.
Job Segment: Medical, Counseling, Public Health, Healthcare
Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
Winnipeg Regional Health Authority provides health care services for over 700,000 residents of the City of Winnipeg and the rural municipalities of East and West St. Paul.