The Department of Laboratory Medicine, Pathology and Medical Genetics (LMPMG) is committed to enhancing patient care through the provision of consistently high quality laboratory services.
Reporting to the Supervisor or delegate the Core Laboratory Technologist performs established laboratory procedures, including hematology, chemistry and transfusion medicine.
Education, Training And Experience
Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) certification as a Medical Laboratory Technologist.
Graduation from a recognized diploma program in Medical Laboratory Technology.
Completion of core laboratory related courses within the last two years or one (1) year recent, related experience within the last six years in the core laboratory section of the laboratory, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills And Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and deal effectively with, patients/residents, families, staff, physicians, research staff, and other health care providers.
- Demonstrated current knowledge of relevant core laboratory testing, techniques, methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of legislations and government policies and procedures related to laboratory technology
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as an effective member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution, critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work independently, prioritize issues and workload, and complete assigned work.
- Ability to operate related equipment, including computerized information systems.
- Demonstrated ability to demonstrate procedures to other employees and students.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Island Health, formerly known as Vancouver Island Health Authority, provides public healthcare services to residents of Vancouver Island, the islands of the Georgia Strait, and in the mainland communities north of Powell River and south of Rivers Inlet.